//Career & Volunteer Opportunities
Closing: Jun 30, 2017
Manager of Communications -Education Centre
Manager of Communications
Rocky View Schools (RVS) serves the educational needs of over 22,000 students within 51 diverse schools. As the fifth largest school jurisdiction in Alberta, RVS provides 21st Century learning, balanced with an ongoing emphasis on literacy and numeracy. We believe all learners deserve to have their needs met through learning communities that value inclusion, diversity, compassion and fairness. In RVS the best interest of students is at the center of every decision.
RVS is seeking an outstanding professional for the position of Manager of Communications. The Manager of Communications helps to plan, direct and support comprehensive external and internal communications plans for RVS utilizing a variety of media platforms. The incumbent will communicate with the media and other interested parties to announce new programs and discuss organizational changes. This position is located at the Education Centre in Airdrie, Alberta.
- Provides strategic communication support to the Senior Executive Team and Board in various disciplines
- Prepares executive messages, presentations, and internal memos, and conducts meetings to share information
- Plans, initiates, implements, and evaluates internal and external communication and community consultation programs
- Provides leadership in developing proactive communication strategies and tactics, from conception through to implementation, while strictly adhering to protocols, deadlines, and budget
- Supervises staff in accordance to RVS policies, procedures, and all applicable employment laws
- Builds effective relationships with the news media and takes the lead in responding to media inquires
- Serves as the alternate crisis response contact for the jurisdiction’s emergency response plan, including managing a crisis response phone 24/7, 365 days a year
- Post-secondary degree in communications, or a related field
- Minimum of eight years progressively responsible work experience related to the field of communications preferably including supervision
- Demonstrated management capability in a professional, fast-paced, dynamic and highly-visible team environment
- Advanced computer skills, with extensive experience in web-development, social media tools, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Strong experience in project management and client consultation, complemented by a highly developed sense of customer service
- Background in public education would be an asset
- Knowledge of effective public policy processes with an intuitive ability to read the political implications of recommendations and actions
- Ability to translate business goals into creative communication strategies and plans
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Keen attention to detail, and high regard for quality and consistency
- Excellent organization and prioritization skills with an ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously to meet deadlines
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Self-starter with demonstrated ability to apply sound judgment surrounding everyday challenges and procedures in an office environment
- Progressive attitude based on an open-minded approach to new ideas
- Sound techniques and experience in various communication mediums
A comprehensive salary and benefit package is provided, including support for training and opportunity for growth. The successful candidate will be required to submit a current Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Check. Please submit your application, cover letter, resume, the names and contact information of three professional references and two samples of published work, quoting Job Code #2013275 on or before June 30, 2017 by 4:30 pm. We request all applications be placed through https://rockyview.simplication.com. Interviews will be held the week of July 3, 2017.
Rocky View Schools
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.