//Career & Volunteer Opportunities
Closing: Oct 20, 2017
Alberta Communications and Public Engagement- Director, Communications
Senior Manager 2
Alberta Communications and Public Engagement, Edmonton. Communications and Public Engagement (CPE) is the Government of Alberta's full‐service communications, public relations and marketing agency.
CPE provides planning, execution and measurement of communications efforts. Its expert staff provides specialized services across the spectrum of communications and marketing from research, design, writing and social media, to event coordination, issues management, digital communications, advertising and public consultation.
The agency staffs the external communications functions in all departments of government and its operations branch, with a mandate of enhancing communications between the people and the Government of Alberta.
For information about CPE, visit our website at http://alberta.ca/executive‐council.cfm
Put your extensive communications knowledge and leadership skills to good use by joining a dynamic team of professionals in Communications and Public Engagement (CPE).
This opportunity offers considerable freedom to act while also belonging to a larger organization of skilled and talented communications professionals, giving you the benefits of a supportive cross‐ government team and opportunities to collaborate on larger government initiatives.
In this unique role, the Director, Communications works closely with the deputy minister's office, minister's office, other senior staff in the ministry and CPE, and colleagues across government to coordinate and collaborate on all projects and issues that have a communications component. The Director serves as a full member of the ministry's executive committee.
Using proven relationship‐building and problem‐solving skills, this position acts as a key resource to coordinate multiple demands with often competing needs. High quality communications support comes in many forms including:
- providing strategic coordinated advice to the minister, deputy minister and executive team
- creating, planning and delivering long and short‐term communications strategies
- participating in policy and program planning
- identifying and addressing highly sensitive media and communications issues affecting the ministry
- promoting public awareness of the ministry's programs and policies
- developing and managing relationship with a wide range of external and internal stakeholders
This position also serves as a professional coach and mentor for staff and oversees administrative and human resource elements such as budgets, performance management, training, and staff development.
The successful candidate will also have superior verbal and written communications skills as well as the following competencies.
Systems Thinking ‐ Provide a big picture perspective to ministry communications planning and coordinates multiple projects and strategies to ensure consistency within the ministry and with cross‐ government initiatives.
Drive for Results ‐ Provide leadership on communications strategies and activities to support the ministry's business plan goals and expected outcomes in a rapidly‐changing environment.
Creative Problem Solving ‐ Synthesize diverse and complex information, distilling key messages/issues within tight timeframes, anticipate the impact of ministry actions/initiatives, recommend proactive approaches, and develop appropriate strategies to address issues and to profile the ministry with its key stakeholders.
Develop Self and Others ‐ Hire, lead, mentor and motivate staff, encouraging creativity and innovation.
For more information on the APS Competency Model please visit: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/apscompetencies
Salary: $3,352.75 ‐ $5,127.61 bi‐weekly ($87,506 ‐ $133,830 annually). Closing Date: Until suitable candidate is selected. Job ID #1045144
- Degree or diploma in communications, public relations, journalism, English or a related field
- Minimum of eight years directly related experience with a minimum of three years at the management level
- Experience with media relations
- Experience leading communications activities and demonstrated expertise in developing high‐ level communications strategy
- Demonstrated leadership, team management, interpersonal and diplomatic skills
- Equivalencies will be considered
There is currently an opening at Energy Communications. This is a continuous intake competition and will be used to fill current and future vacancies at equal or lesser classifications across the Government of Alberta. Resumes will be reviewed on a regular basis to fill Government of Alberta vacancies at this level until further notice. The first review of resumes will take place on October 10, 2017. Final candidate will be asked to undergo a security screening.
We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefit plan. Please see the links below for more information.
- Benefit Overview: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/talentacquisition/finalize/ee‐benefit‐overview‐ MGMT.pdf
- Comprehensive and competitive benefits plan: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/Employees/DocList134.cfm
- Defined benefit pension plan: http://www.mepp.ca/about/publications/MEPP_At‐a‐Glance.pdf
- Health Spending Account: http://www.psc.alberta.ca/benefits/healthspendingacct/hsa‐guide‐ mgmt.pdf
Online applications are preferred via www.jobs.alberta.ca. If you apply online, please ensure your cover letter and resume are submitted as one file. Ensure you quote the competition number and save using the naming convention of your last then first name (Smith Joe_Job ID). Applicants who apply online will be able to track the status of this competition. If you are unable to apply online, submit an electronic version of your resume, quoting the Job ID, to CPE, Human Resources, Nicole Holmberg, HR Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tips on Applying on Alberta Government Jobs see here: https://www.jobs.alberta.ca/applying/index.html
If you require any further information on this job posting, please contact Human Resources at (780) 638‐ 4705. We thank all applicants for their interest. All applicants will be reviewed to determine which candidates' education and experience best meets the needs of the position. Only individuals selected for interviews will be contacted.